by Chris Morgan
In our last blog, I began to share two important things believers must learn to do in order to grow spiritually. The first was to renew our minds. Remember God said that it was through the renewing of our minds that our lives would be transformed (Romans 12:2). I want to encourage you to take a moment and go back and review what was shared there. Now in this blog, I’d like to share with you the second part of this which is, learning how to develop our spirits. Many times, we have developed our bodies and educated our minds, but we have left the spirit of man almost unnoticed. We need to understand our spirit can be educated just as our minds can be educated. We need to understand our spirit can be developed, built up in strength, and trained just as our bodies can be.
God’s Word shows us three primary ways to develop our spirits
- Feed on God’s Word
- What food is to our body, God’s Word is to our spirits.
- In Matthew 4:4 Jesus said, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
- God’s Word is to be our daily bread to feed and strengthen our spirits.
- Our spirit must be fed the truth of God’s Word on a regular basis. That’s how our spirit grows strong.
- Pray in Other Tongues
- This is a benefit of being filled with the Holy Spirit.
- One of the greatest spiritual exercises there is is to pray in tongues every day. When we do, our spirit is in direct contact with God, the Father of Spirits.
- Praying in tongues helps us to become more spirit conscious. We become more sensitive of spiritual things and more aware of the Holy Spirit who lives inside of us.
- Lastly, 1 Corinthians 14:4 and Jude 20 tells us this is an important means of spiritual edification and the building up of our spirit.
- Meditate God’s Word
- We must learn to take time daily to meditate in God’s Word.
- Joshua 1:8 clearly tells us it is God’s way to make us prosperous and have good success.
- Meditation means to think on God’s Word deeply.
- Meditation also means to mutter the word or speak it yourself.
- This is a powerful way to get the Word of God in our hearts and make it become real to us.
If you want to develop spiritually and have spiritual wisdom, begin to take time to do these three things daily. Then as we renew our minds and do these three things faithfully, we will find ourselves growing spiritually.